Holiday Fire Safety: Fire Demonstration at St Francis Hospital Burn Center
On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 10:00 AM in front of St. Francis Memorial Hospital (900 Hyde - Peirotti Pavilion), San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White, Assembly Member Fiona Ma, and Dr. Clyde Ikeda, Medical Director of the Saint Francis Memorial Hospital 's Bothin Burn Center, will be discussing the importance of fire safety during the Holidays. According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), fires occurring during the Holiday Season claim the lives of over 400 Americans, injure 1,650 more, and cause over $990 million in damage. Angela Gates, RN, Service Line Director, and Paula Fillari, RN, Clinical Director, will also be speaking on their work at the Bothin Burn Center and the importance of fire safety.
A Christmas tree will be set on fire and extinguished by San Francisco Firefighters. The display will show the dangers of trees in households when precautions are not taken. "I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to be vigilant in taking precautionary measures to prevent fires, especially during the holiday season", said Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White. "Taking a few extra precautionary steps can ensure a safe holiday season."
WINTER FIRE SAFETY TIPS
- Do not overload extension cords
- Turn off holiday lighting before going to bed
- Keep the area around any open flame free of combustible materials
- Never leave candles unattended
- Water trees daily so they don’t dry out
- Keep trees away from heaters and fire places
- Recycle your Christmas tree (Do Not Burn in Fireplace) Call Sunset Scavenger (415) 330-1300
- Keep charged fire extinguishers in a centralized location
MEDIA EVENT CONTACT: Saint Francis Memorial Hospital - Linda Gillespie (415) 353-6547 - firstname.lastname@example.org