Calendar Year 2011
(Amended February 16, 2010)
It is the responsibility of the Fire Commission to ensure that the San Francisco Fire Department effectively implements its mission:
The Mission of the Fire Department is to protect the lives and property of the people of San Francisco
from fires, natural disasters, and hazardous materials incidents; to save lives by providing emergency
medical services; to prevent fires through prevention and education programs; and to provide a work
environment that values health, wellness and cultural diversity and is free of harassment and discrimination.
To this end, the Fire Commission will:
- Set policy and support the administration to accomplish the mission of the Department;
- Support the administration’s efforts to enhance and support the collaborative work of Department membership and public stakeholders in the delivery of fire suppression, fire prevention and emergency medical services with the focus upon the common public good;
- Encourage and support the administration to develop and implement systems to improve fiscal responsibility to enhance the budgeting process while maintaining and protecting essential public services including fire protection, fire prevention and emergency medical services;
- Encourage and support the administration to develop an effective physical fitness and wellness program to promote the health, safety and welfare of the members of the Department and the public;
- Encourage and support the administration to develop as part of its overall strategic planning effective career development and promotion opportunities for the membership;
- Actively encourage and support recruitment and education in the communities to bring highly qualified applicants to the Department who truly reflect the City’s rich diversity;
- Continue to work with the administration and City Attorney’s Office to review and, where necessary, revise official Departmental Policy and Procedures; and
- Contribute to the common good by conducting open meetings regularly and convening such additional meetings as deemed necessary to inform and educate the general public of the work of the Fire Commission and the Fire Department.
Adopted at the Regular Meeting of the San Francisco Fire Commission on January 13, 2011.
Ayes: 4 (Evans, Lau, Breed, Hardeman)
Monica Quattrin, Commission Secretary