Filing a Claim Against the City

If you were involved in an accident with any Fire Department vehicle, such as a Fire Engine, Truck or Ambulance, or feel that you have incurred damages as a result of Fire Department activities, you must file a claim against the City of San Francisco.

To file a claim, please fill out a Claim Form (PDF), as required under Government Code §905 and §915. Please be sure to closely follow the instructions for filing a claim. Instructions are included with the downloadable form referred to above. Failure to closely follow the instructions may delay the processing of your claim. Submit the original completed Claim Form along with an estimate for repair to:

Office of the Controller
City Hall, Room 396
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102-4694

Claims must be filed within six months after the incident.

Please allow 45 days for the Controller's Office and the Claims Division of the City Attorney's Office to process and investigate your claim.

For a general description of the City's claims procedures, please visit the following Filing a Claim page of the Office of the City Attorney's website.