Fire Commission - February 9, 2017 - Minutes
February 9, 2017 - 10:00am
Minutes of Fire Commission Special Meeting
Thursday, February 9, 2017 - 10:00 a.m.
698 Second Street, Room 102 San Francisco California 94107
President Cleaveland called the meeting to order at 10:02 AM.
1. ROLL CALL
President Ken Cleaveland
Vice President Stephen A. Nakajo
Commissioner Michael Hardeman
Commissioner Francee Covington
Brad Russi, Deputy City Attorney, Government Team – Counsel to the Commission
Maureen Conefrey, Commission Secretary
Joanne Hayes-White, Chief of Department
Lisa Berkowitz, Deputy City Attorney, Counsel to the Department
Daniel Thompson, Counsel to Member
Stephen Giacalone, Local 798 Representative
Mark Brickman, Court Reporter
2. CASE NO. 2016-03: HEARING AND DELIBERATIONS ON EMPLOYEE DISCIPLINE CONCERNING VERIFIED COMPLAINT FILED BY CHIEF OF DEPARTMENT AGAINST MEMBER, DATED SEPTEMBER 20, 2016, FOR VIOLATIONS AS FOLLOWS:
Section 2004 – Restricted Passengers
Section 3905 – Familiarity with the Rules
Section 3907 – Safety Rules
Section 3909 – False Reports
Section 3919 – Proper Behavior
Section 3921 – Inattention to Duty
Section 3923 – Acts Detrimental to Welfare of Department
Section 3941 – Use of Vehicles
This case may be heard in Closed Session pursuant to Government Code Section 54957(b) and Administrative Code Section 67.10(b).
A. Public Comment on Special Meeting Agenda Item; Possible Closed Session
Members of the public may comment on all matters pertaining to Agenda Item No. 2, and whether to consider the matter in Closed Session. [Government Code § 54954.3(a), Administrative Code § 67.15(b)]
President Cleaveland called for public comment. No member of the public came forward and President Cleaveland closed public comment.
B. Votes on Closed Session
1. Whether to hold the hearing on the verified complaint in closed session [Action]
2. Whether to conduct deliberations in closed session [Action]
Commissioner Covington made a motion to hold hearing and conduct deliberations in Closed Session. Commissioner Hardeman seconded, and the motion was unanimously approved. (4-0; Cleaveland, Nakajo, Hardeman, Covington)
The Commission went into closed session at 10:05.
C. Hearing and Deliberations
1. Hearing on verified complaint (in open or closed session, per the Commission’s decision)
2. Deliberations and possible action on charges (in open or closed session, per the Commission’s decision) [Discussion and Possible Action]
D. If Closed Session is held, reconvene in Open Session
1. Report on any action taken in Closed Session as specified in Government Code Section 54957.1(a)(5) and Administrative Code Section 67.12(b)(4).
2. Vote to elect whether to disclose any or all discussions held in Closed Session, as specified in Administrative Code Section 67.12(a). [Action]
At approximately 10:50 a.m. a medical emergency occurred prompting President Cleaveland to adjourn the meeting at 11:12 a.m. with the recommendation that the matter be rescheduled at a later date.