Partners in Disaster Preparedness: MRC
The San Francisco Fire Department NERT & MRC Volunteers
The SFFD's Neighborhood Emergency Response Teams (NERT) program works in partnership with the Medical Reserve Corps (MRC), a national network of volunteers, organized locally to improve the health and safety of their communities. The mission of MRC is to serve citizens and communities throughout the United States by establishing local teams of medical, health and other volunteers to strengthen the public health infrastructure and improve emergency preparedness. To accomplish this mission, San Francisco MRC in partnership with the SFFD's NERT program will train and prepare for a large scale disaster while providing volunteer opportunities that assist San Francisco's readiness. All members of the community are encouraged to volunteer for various support functions in a manner appropriate to their skills or training.
Who Can Volunteer?
- EMT's, Paramedics and other First Responders.
- Fire Service Volunteers and Fire Academy students.
- Community members without medical training to assist with administrative and essential services
- Private practice, retired, or practicing doctors, nurses, pharmacists, nurses' assistants, and others.
What Will Volunteers Do In San Francisco?
MRC volunteers can assist during emergencies and assist with public initiatives and ongoing community health outreach and education efforts. The goal is to assist professional responders in the event of a communitywide disaster. The unit's primary mission is to provide logistical support during disaster situations.
Become a MRC NERT Member!
San Francisco MRC Applicants must provide the following:
- Current Valid ID
- Credentials (if applicable)
- A DOJ/FBI Background check may be administered at any time
Send copies along with completed application to:
2310 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
Please contact our Program Coordinator to get more information about our local unit's training requirements.
The following links may provide more information on various skill and training requirements:
- NERT Training Curriculum & Content
- NERT Training Calendar
- FEMA Online Courses ( IS-700, NIMS, ICS-100)
- American Red Cross (First Aid/CPR Courses)
- American Heart Association (First Aid/CPR Courses)
- George Washington University Online Courses (Nursing On the Front Lines)
- City College of San Francisco First Responder Training (F SC 17, Public Safety: Emergency Medical Response)
MRC Core Competency Resources