Fire Safety for Building Tenants
Current Fire Safety Requirements
In August 2016, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed legislation aimed at promoting fire and life safety, reducing the risk of fires, and preventing property damage from fires. These laws establish new requirements for the owners of residential buildings. Requirements vary based on the number of building residential units and fire alarm system requirements of existing buildings. Non-compliance with these new fire safety requirements may lead to violations of the San Francisco Fire Code.
The San Francisco Fire Department is here to help building residents/tenants understand the new requirements enacted by the San Francisco Supervisors. Details of the requirements are provided below.
For more information, click here.
Search Your Address for the Statement of Compliance and More:
San Francisco Fire Permits Data Map
(links to an external independent website)
To search for data, enter address and click on location dot. Information available on the SF Fire Permits Data Map includes:
- Fire Permits from 01/01/1983
- Fire Complaints and Violations from 01/01/2010
- Fire Inspections from 01/01/2014
- Statement of Compliance (for required Apartment Buildings with Fire Alarm Systems)
- Additional data available from SF Department of Building Inspection and SF Planning Department